Wednesday 25 January 2012

Much of a mulchness - playing in the garden is the funnest thing of all.

Five years ago I said I would never make another New Year's resolution, commitment, promise or undertaking. This year, I said "Bollocks to that!" and made a whole lot of resolutions / commitments / promises / undertakings - one of which was "to play in my garden more". By 'playing', I mean weeding, pruning, watering (not just a once-a-week splash with a watering can, but an actual hose with a proper nozzle and everything, and now made easier with the lifting of restrictions in Melbourne), planting seasonal colour, chucking in some fertilizer and laying down mulch. Honestly, I was a very cursory gardener - half-hearted at best, neglectful at worst.

I am aided by the presence of a great Plants Plus nursery just a two minute drive away. I don't know about other Plants Plus nurseries, but the one on Rathmines Road, Hawthorn, near Auburn Road, is staffed by the friendliest and most knowledgable nursery folk I've ever met. And they carry stuff TO YOUR CAR! Noice. The short shorts on the hot young eye-candy horticulturalists also help.

I have a pretty decent Bunnings nearby and when you can find someone to help, they're usually pretty good. In fact, they're pretty awesome - but only if you can find someone.

So, in the last few weeks, I have had a go at playing in my garden.

Pre-new year, I'd given my garden the proverbial 'Brazillian' with my fancy pruning shears, cutting everything right back to bare branches (geraniums, roses, daisies and masses of unidentified ground-cover), and giving my pavers a good scrub. This meant I could look at it clearly and start planning my next phase of attack.

Last week I was ably aided by my older sister and keen gardener, Musty Venetian, who was visiting from interstate. She helped me weed, showed me how to dig in Dynamic Lifter and helped me choose and lay down some mulch. Musty also taught me not to be afraid of colour, so we chucked in some bold and bright petunias and impatiens in shady spots. Mint-basil was also planted, though I am still dubious about this one - is it mint? Or is it basil? If it is both, then it is neither, surely? And if a tree falls in the forest, would Gina Rinehart hear it? Or care? Apologies for my philosophical digression...

Many thanks and a big shout-out to Musty for her back-breaking efforts. Couldn't have done it without you, sis'.

Needless to say, the garden is looking better and healthier, but like a person just coming out of an illness with a clean bill of health, it will take some time before it is truly beautiful and rosy again. I can't wait.

There will be piccies, so stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment