Saturday 28 April 2012

Nothing quite like homemade...


I am growing exceedingly fond of convenience in the kitchen, but there's nothing quite like the home-made version of a favourite food, especially when it's made from something someone close to you has grown or cultivated themselves. 

Which is how I came to make several batches of quince paste not once, but twice this month. A work colleague (let us call her Kee Bordz) very generously provided me with several bags of quinces (some bruised and battered, some with just the right amount of that weird sticky fur) from her tree. Lugging them home on the tram, my mind wandered to the possibility of making my own quince paste, given I am a fan of the Maggie Beer variety

I'd heard making your own was a bit of a pain, and friends had warned me it wasn't worth the effort, but I paid a visit to taste.com.au and found a recipe that looked easy enough. 

Peeling and chopping quinces is a real bitch, there's no denying, but if you have a good grip on a sharp knife and a decent peeler, you'll be right. All the recipe requires is a food processor or KitchenWiz, as well as a diffuser for your stovetop and off you go. Oh yeah, and about three hours of spare time where you will essentially be chained to your stove...

Seriously, though, despite hours of stirring, the result is worth it. I have made it twice now, using the recipe above. My only cavil is that I can't seem to get the intense berry-red colour that everyone else seems to brag about. Mine is more of a dark salmon pink. Texture and taste however, are perfect and the fact that I have had requests for it, means I'm onto a winner.

Enjoy with some creamy brie or a tangy cheddar.

No comments:

Post a Comment