Thursday 15 August 2013

Thank you for smoking...pipes?????!!!! WTF?

Folks, I think I've now seen (and smelled) the latest incarnation of hipster pretentiousness.

Yesterday afternoon, I was walking past the National Australia Bank office in East Melbourne. Diagonally opposite the Greek Orthodox church on Lansdowne Street, what should I see but three twenty-something men sporting beards, neat haircuts, tattoos, skinny chinos and buttoned-up plaid shirts - smoking pipes.

Nope, they weren't boldly passing a bong around. They were smoking professor / old dad traditional pipes. Sherlock Holmes pipes. Hugh Hefner pipes. Your granddad pipes.

Sweet effing Jesus. I thought I'd seen it all.

I suppose it sits nicely alongside the faux-traditional single-origin-coffee-grinding, vinyl-record-playing, olive-pickling and beer-making lifestyle so affected by this particular group, but pipe-smoking?

What next? Tobacco-chewing?

No comments:

Post a Comment