Thursday 26 June 2014

When life gives you lemons (and a bottle of grappa) make Limoncello. But do your research first.



Last Saturday night, in a fit of post-Collingwood-loss-to-Hawthorn-crankiness, I needed a domestic distraction to keep myself busy and prevent the usual depressive dwelling that follows after a disastrous Magpies defeat.

Holey socks were darned, folded and put away; dinner was Thai takeaway and a bottle of wine in an hour’s time; the bathtub gleamed from a thorough bleaching and the carpets had been vacuumed to within a millimetre of the skirting boards. What was there left to do?

I spied the ¾ full bottle of grappa on my drinks trolley and a bowl of lemons and decided I would make Limoncello. Without bothering to do any research, and based on a half-assed-barely-remembered conversation with a work colleague from about a year ago, I dug out an empty 750ml glass bottle with a rubber stopper/seal, a potato peeler, nine lemons and the bottle of grappa. I remembered the first step – infusing a clear, base spirit with natural lemon oil. The other stuff (sweetening and diluting it) happens later. Obviously, I know enough to get started.

I washed the bottle in hot soapy water, rinsed it thoroughly, then put it in a hot oven for 10 minutes to sterilise and dry. While that was happening, I peeled the lemons carefully, ensuring I didn’t scoop up too much of the pith then shoved the peels through the narrow neck of the bottle until it was half full. I then poured the grappa over the peel, but wasn’t able to fill the bottle. Not enough grappa, damn. Aha, that’s when the bottle of Ciroc vodka (also grape-based) came in handy – I topped up the bottle with the vodka, inserted the rubber stopper and stuck it on the bottom shelf of my pantry cupboard.

Four days later, the grappa is turning a bright, fluoro yellow and the peels have faded to a dull cream colour. I know that in 4-6 weeks, I should remove the peels and top up the bottle with sugar syrup and then let it steep in the freezer for another 4-6 weeks, after which it will be ready for drinking.

Okay, NOW, I decide to do some research. Bless the internet and the staff at that amazing bottle shop on Queen Street. Apparently, I have flubbed my first attempt at Limoncello.

Why? How?

It appears grappa with 40-50% alcohol content isn’t strong enough and will take FOREVER to extract the full amount of lemon oil (try 6-8 weeks). The nice lass at the bottle shop recommended I replace the old peels with a fresh batch in a couple of weeks to really enhance the lemon essence.

Apparently, the base alcohol for extracting the lemon oil should be the strongest you can get – like 180 proof ‘Spiritus’ a flavourless Polish spirit with a 95% alcohol “DANGER: BLINDNESS AND NUMBNESS IN YOUR FINGERS AHEAD” label slapped on it. In the USA you would use Everclear (AKA moonshine). I understand it’s illegal in some American states…

One 700ml bottle of ‘Spiritus’ can be spread out over 3-4 750ml bottles of lemon peel (you only pour in enough to cover the peels), will take 6-7 days to extract the oil, and can be topped up with equal parts grain vodka (40% alcohol is fine) and sugar syrup straight after. Easy peasy. The closest you’ll get to the real deal in a third of the time it will take me to make my crappy first-time concoction.

Oh well.

By mid September, it should be good enough to pour over ice in a long glass, add some mint, a wedge of lime and topped up with tonic water. I hope.

In the meantime, I will get started on another batch using the right base and see how that goes.

Stay tuned for Limoncello updates.

No comments:

Post a Comment