Monday 1 April 2013

New York, New York

Loved ones, last post before I vacate my single room with ensuite and move into my double-bunk deal ahead of Iona Chef's arrival.

Yesterday I officially landed my first US shopping bargain, having picked up five sweet Spring items from Loft on Madison Avenue for $117. Noice. Clothes in stores are mostly Spring and early Summer items so I have been advised to hit Century 21 (NYC's DFO) for Winter gear and accessories. Until then, I will bask in my bargain glow...

Afternoon tea at the Russian Tea Room was nice, but not great. Yes, it was fabulous to sit in the banquette where Dustin Hoffmann's Dorothy Michaels taunts and teases his hapless agent in Tootsie and F Murray Abraham's eccentric Hungarian interrogates the gormless Louie CK in Season Three's Louie.

Yes, it was fabulous to sit under Erte and Tamara De Lempicka prints and soak up the Faberge Egg-like decor of the place, but frankly, folks, we do better high teas at home. The food was plentiful and nice - savouries followed by sweets - and a doggie-bag was offered for items uneaten, but tea bag tea? And I shouldn't have to ask for milk twice. I know Russians drink their tea black and love to suck it through a sugar cube poised between their lips, but that's why I ordered English Breakfast tea. Besides, I don't take sugar.

Couple of other observations before I sign off: Central park is HUGE, and I mean HUGE - will need a good day to see it properly; first and thus far only take-away latte was disgusting - Barista lessons for the girl in TreeHaus please; the eye-candy around the place is distracting - hotness galore - or maybe I'm just missing Muddy K too much, or maybe statistically, it was bound to happen given the number of warm bodies squashed on this tiny island.

Spending all day today at MOMA, then taking Iona Chef out for dinner and a subway ride. Tomorrow, Highline and brunch/lunch at Buvette's in the Village.

Signing out.

No comments:

Post a Comment